Today we are going to learn all that we can about an animal cell. We are going to explore the different parts that make up an animal cell. Make sure to learn all that you can because there will be a short quiz at the end and a final assignment to create a replica animal cell. You will find more details at the end of the webquest.
There are 3 parts to this webquest.
#1. You will need to watch one of the youtube videos below, about what is a animal cell and learn about all of the parts.
#2. Please take the short quiz below about the parts of a animal cell. Be sure to write down your answers an submit in class.
1. What is the job of a nucleus?
a. to control the body
b. controls the center of the cell and stores DNA
c. make blood
2. What is the cell membrane?
a. thin structure that surrounds the cell; protects the cell, gives it its shape and lets material in and out
b. small regulator of the cell
c. helps keep the temperature of the cell right
3. What is the role of Ribosomes in the cell?
a. it changes the color of each cell
b. this is where proteins are made; they are the small dots on the Rough ER
c. it is like the ribs of the human body
4. What is the Endoplasmic reticulum?
a. jelly-like substance in the cell
b. small little egg-like area of the cell where DNA is created
c. packing house of the cell where lipids are created
5. What is the purpose of the Mitochandria in a cell?
a. Energy processor of cell
b. eats older cells to keep the cell body clean
c. stores water in the cell
#3. Now it is time to play a game. You will need to click the link below where you will be able to actively explore all the parts of a cell.
Scientists! You have done it. You have learned all about animal cells and their processes. You are now ready to produce a model of your own. You are to create a replica model of an animal cell. This can be a colored drawing and/OR you can make it a 3-D model will any materials you have access too. I have seen cells built out of different colors of clay, detailed colored pencil drawings or even a dry pasta collage replicating a cell.
1. The cell model must be recognizable meaning the details should look similar to the actual cell.
2. Each part of the cell must be labeled with the name AND function of the cell part. Please include AT LEAST the following 9 cell parts, (Nucleus, Ribosomes, Endoplasmic Reticulum, Vesicles, Golgi Apparatus, Mitochondria, Cytosol, Cytoskeleton, Cell Membrane)
You may use any color scheme you would like.