Are smartphones damaging the behaviors and minds of people, or do they actually have beneficial impacts?
Do smartphones do more harm than good?
Today, we will explore these questions through a class debate!
The two panels will discuss the impacts, either positive or negative, of smartphones on our society.
YOU have been chosen as an expert within the field to sit on one of the panels.
- One group will present arguments on the positive effects of smartphones, and the other group will present arguments on the negative effects of smartphones.
Ready? Continue to the Process.
Task 1: Research for Debate
1) Use the provided links for developing your position of either for the pros or cons:
- Smartphones for Self-Improvement: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/314094
- Smartphones benefit small businesses: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269978
- Smartphones improve productivity: https://www.insight.com/en_US/learn/content/2017/01-16-2017-workplace-mobility-statistics-show-improved-productivity.html
- Ways to use your smartphone to reduce stress: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-practice/201603/9-ways-you-can-utilize-your-smartphone-reduce-your-stress
- How your smartphone can increase mindfulness: http://www.growthbusiness.co.uk/soothing-stress-smartphone-2552788/
- Advantages of cellphones in the classroom: http://www.schoolmoney.org/advantages-using-cell-phones-classroom/
- Smartphones harm your productivity: https://medium.com/darius-foroux/smartphones-harm-your-productivity-more-than-you-think-62e105655992
- Smartphones and Depression: http://www.wbur.org/npr/571443683/the-call-in-teens-and-depression
- Smartphones cause depression: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/220378/20180205/study-finds-smartphone-usage-causes-depression-teens.htm
- Smartphone can cause stress: https://www.deccanchronicle.com/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/240217/constant-smartphone-use-may-increase-stress-study.html
- Smartphone increase anxiety: https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/excessive-cellphone-anxiety-experts-warn/story?id=48842476
- Disadvantages of cellphones in the classroom: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/disadvantages-mobile-phones-schools
BOTH PROS AND CONS:
- Smartphones pros and cons in mental health: https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2017-09-22/does-smartphone-use-contribute-to-or-help-combat-teen-depression
- Smartphones are not bad for all teens: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-02109-8
- Do smartphones do more harm than good: https://schools.firstnews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/resources/605_BIG_DEBATE.pdf
- 10 Advantages and Disadvantages: https://www.importantindia.com/22926/mobile-phones-advantages-disadvantages/
- Are smartphones good for the workplace? https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryalton/2017/06/22/one-decade-later-are-smartphones-all-good-for-the-workplace/#48e6708d58eb
- Smartphones for teens (good, bad, and the ugly): http://www.socialmoms.com/know/tech/teens-and-smartphones-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/
- Smartphones in the classroom (pros and cons): https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/when-smartphones-go-school
- Pros and cons of digital devices in the classroom: https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/pros-and-con…
- Advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones: https://blog.udemy.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-mobile-phones/
- Pros and cons of technology in our relationships: https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/features/tech-affects-relationships#1
**There is a lot of information online about pros and cons of smartphones. Feel free to use other websites you find useful to build your argument.
Task 2: Prepare your Argument
1) Take notes on your Debate Preparation Worksheet to summarize your research and main arguments.
OPTIONAL: You can choose to prepare a PowerPoint Presentation to summarize your information. This is especially helpful if you find charts or graphs with statistics that you want to present during the debate.