A contextual study of Boy Overboard by Morris Gleitzman for Year 8
Welcome to WebQuest Year 8!
We have now finished reading Boy Overboard as a class.
You have just finished watching "Gran Torino". Now you are going to take a closer look at the film and really get down to the nitty gritty.
First you will gather some background knowledge, or what us English teachers like to call the "context" of the film.
Once you are up to speed on the context, you will then use this knowledge to create your own news entertainment program. It's your chance to show off your skills and maybe become the next Carrie Bickmore or Charlie Pickering!
So what are you waiting for? Let's get started!
By the end of this WebQuest you will have learnt about:
- refugees and asylum seekers
- Hmong people and Hmong refugees
- the Vietnam War and the consequences of this war
- Australia's current policy for asylum seekers and refugees
By the end of this WebQuest you will have created:
- a 15min news entertainment program to be presented to the class in Week 8 (group activity)
- an online blog (individual activity)
By the end of this WebQuest you will have used the following resources:
- Internet (WebQuest & WordPress)
- ICT - iphone, ipad ect for filming
- Editing software - iMovie or similiar
In your blog respond to the following questions:
- List the activities you completed in this unit.
- What technologies did you learn about?
- In what ways did you find the topic helpful to your learning about text and its construction?
- What did you learn that was new or a development upon previous knowledge?
- How did the Web Quest activities help you to complete the assessment?