This webquest explores the Mexican holiday, Day of the Dead, and the aspects that surround this celebration. The purpose of this lesson is to learn about the activities, history, food, and artists behind this holiday.
Your job is to explore various web sites to help in your understanding of Day of the Dead. Individually, you will research this information to answer questions and to take notes. You will be using the data to prepare a All about Day of the Dead poster that will be displayed in the hallway.
Read all directions before you begin.
- Do activites 2 and 5 from above on a piece of notebook paper.
- Using your notes and Quest sheets, you will choose a famous person who has passed away and create an authentic altar drawn on a clean, white, piece of printer paper or using a combination of clipart on the computer (take time to make it look nice and organized). Make sure to have a list of all the basic items needed to complete the altar. There is white printer paper and materials on the cart in the front corner of the classroom.
- Prepare a short overview of the significance of the altar by writing out a paragraph description in English. (Who is it for?, What are the parts of the altar?, etc.)
- I will be collecting your altars and answers from the webquest sheets next class. Hold onto them until then, even if you finish before class is over. If you don't finish in class, this becomes homework for next class.
- Open the Day of the Dead Quest Sheet
- Click on the Day of the Dead Information site. Answer the questions on your Quest sheet on a separate piece of loose leaf paper.
- Open the Food Quest Sheet.
- Click on the Dia de los Muertos site. Once there, click on food. Answer the questions on a separate sheet of loose leaf paper.
- Print the Wordplay Quest Sheet.
- Click on the Dia de los Muertos site. Once there, click on glossary. Using the glossary of words, complete the Wordplay sheet.
- Click on the Dia de los Muertos site. Once there, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on photos. In the large window, click on next to look at all the pictures. Be patient, the pictures may take a long time to download.
- Choose a (1) picture and write a paragraph that answers the following questions:
- How does the photograph make you feel?
- What are some of the objects you see in the pictures?
- What do you like or dislike about the photograph? Be specific.
Be sure to write the name of the photograph on your paper. This is located at the bottom left hand corner of the photo.
- Click on the Dia de los Muertos site. Once there, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on altar. In the small window on the left is a photograph of an altar with numbered areas. Click on the numbers to find out each item. make a list of items a traditional altar needs. Write what these items symbolize.
- Click on the Dia de los Muertos site. Once there, click on events.
- Using the information provided on that page and what you have already read, create an illustrated timeline of the activities that occur on el día de los muertos (Oct. 31 - Nov. 2).
Student's work will be evaluated on the following areas:
- completion of activity 2 (5pts)
- completion of activity 5 (5pts)
- Altar was creative and organized (5pts)
- Summary was clear and thorough. (5pts)
Total of 20 pts
After completing the Quest sheets and altar descriptions, viewing drawings and photographs, and completing the poster you should have a better understanding of Day of the Dead and everything that is involved with this holiday.