In this lesson, you will learn about a very interesting and important concept in Mathematics. As you know, everything we do in life involves different concepts in Mathematics one way or another.
Considering different career choices, I'd love to bring to your attention about the job of an architect. In the design role, an architect is hired by a client to produce detailed designs of a concept or idea that a client wants to bring to reality. Architects are professional people who design, plan and decorate buildings. It is very important to understand who will be entering the building by considering the length and the width of the building.
Follow the link below to see the introduction to the concept: Area.
1. You have been asked to design a school library for St. John's RC Primary School in Kensington. The school has an available area of 90 square units. You need to consider:
- What shape will the library be?
- Is there enough space for learners and teachers to abide by all COVID-19 rules?
- What other features need to be included in the library?
2. Design two possible buildings. Be sure to include measurements.
3. Which building do you think would be most suitable for the learners? Explain your reasoning.
Use an A4 paper sheet to plan and design a school library. The library must be designed in a regular shape. Below are possible shapes to choose from:
See the available area/space before you make a decision. Be creative!
Use the given links to find inspiration for your design.
Use the rubric to guide you.
Shows some effort.
Shows little effort.
Shows no effort
concept, but missed
the concept, but
missed more than one
Does not understand
Clean and tidy-
Drawings are done
|Drawings are done neatly.||Little effort is presented.||Done hastily.|
As indicated on the rubric, you can score a maximum of 30 marks for this task. The practice will help you for the examination in term 4. You will have 1 week to complete your task which is due on the 19th day in October 2021.