We are learning Mandarin in Chinese class. Mandarin is the one form or dialect of the Chinese language that is used as an official language in China. Do you know other dialects that are used in China? Do you know the ethnicities that speak the different dialects? Do you know how many ethnicities there are in China and the regions they live in? Do you know what their culture is?
This unit is designed to explore the different ethnic groups in China and their culture, which will be completed in five classes.
- Pre-class survey about China regions and ethnicities
- Group work: Do research on the questions about general information about the populations and big regions/cities in China. Then do a presentation about your findings in class
- Get to know all the ethnic groups in China and find the ten largest ethnic groups from the chart. Then watch the video and answer the questions about these ten largest ethnic groups.
- Pair work: Pick two minor ethnic groups and do research on the ethnicities. Then do a presentation about your findings in class
- Learn the Tibet issue from the perspectives of China and other countries
- Watch a video about Litang (one of the regions where Tibetan people live) and write down your answers for the questions, then share it with our class
- Post-class survey about China regions and ethnicities
- First class:
Complete the Task 1 and Task 2. The goal is to get a general idea of China regions and how diverse they are.
For the Task 1, take it easy. Please do not be stressed about the answers of these questions.
For the Task 2, it is a group work. There will be three groups. Please work in your table group. You need to work in a group of 3 to work on two of six questions on the google slide China regions. Do research through online resources and put the answers on the slides. Tell us what you find about the questions. Please use pictures or maps to tell us your findings. Please use reliable recourses and put the references at the bottom of your slides.
The questions are:
1). What is China’s population? How big is China in terms of the area? 中国有多少人口？中国的面积有多大？
2). What part of China has the top density of population? 中国人口最密集的区域是哪里？
3). What and where are the two biggest rivers in China? 中国的两条最大的河流是什么？它们在哪里？
4). What is the weather and geography situation of west side of China? 中国西部区域的天气和地理条件是怎么样的？
5). List 5 major cities that have the top population in China.列举中国的五大人口最多的城市
6). List 4 cities that have the best economy in China. 列举中国的四大经济最发达的城市
- Second class
Complete the Task 3. The goal is to know all the ethnicities in China and some information about the ten largest ethnic groups.
- Third class
Complete the Task 4. The goal is to enhance your understanding of ethnic groups in China
It is a pair work: You can pick another student that you want to work with. Then pick two minor ethnic groups that you are more interested in learning more. Do a research about the two minor ethnic groups and do a presentation in class.
Please include these questions as your research questions:
1). Which regions do they live? 他们住在哪些区域？
2). What dialects do they speak? 他们说什么方言？
3). Can you teach us how to say “hello” in their dialects or other words you want to teach us? 你可以用他们的语言叫我们怎么说“你好”吗？或者教给我们其他的词汇？
4). What other facts that you find interesting about them? 你还发现了有关他们的其他什么有意思的信息？
4. Fourth class
Complete the Task 5. Tibet is a one of the minority regions that China has conflict with perspectives from other countries, such as human rights. We will investigate the Tibet issue in this class to see the two different perspectives. Then you are going to share your thoughts on the Tibet issue.
At the end of the class, please think about the two questions and share your thoughts with us.
1). If you were Tibetan, how would you feel the pros and cons of central government’s construction and development of Tibet? 如果你是藏族人民，关于政府对西藏的建设和发展，你觉得有哪些好处和坏处？
2). If you were the government, how would you balance preserving the culture and resource and developing the economy? 如果你是政府，你如何平衡保护文化、资源和经济的发展？
5. Fifth class
Complete the Task 6 and Task 7.
Task 6: Watch a video of Litang which is one of the regions where Tibetan people live. Then answer the questions and share with us in the next class.
The questions are:
1). If you are the manager of Litang, how do you promote Litang? 如果你是理塘的管理者，你怎么宣传理塘？
2). China has 56 ethnicities. But Mandarin of Han is the official language. What do you think of that? 中国有56个民族，但是汉族的普通话确被采用为官方语言。对于此，你的观点是什么？
3). If you suggest to China government about preserving minority culture and language, what would you suggest? 如果你向中国政府建议关于保护少数民族的语言和文化，你会如何建议什么？
4). Do you like minority music in the video? Would you like to attend a minority music concert? 你喜欢视频中少数民族的音乐吗？你会参与一些少数民族的音乐会吗？
5). As a Mandarin learner, how do you think Ding Zhen’s Mandarin at the end of the video? Do you understand what he said? 做为一名普通话的学习者，你觉得丁真的普通话怎么样？你明白他说的什么了吗？
Task 7: Post-class survey on China regions and ethnicities
To self-evaluate how you learned about the unit and growth of knowledge on the topic.
- For the questions:
Participation 20%; answering the questions showing your understanding of the topic 50%; using the key words in Chinese 30%. For example, if you talk about ethnicity, you are able to use “民族”in Chinese. There will be a word list for the key words.
- For the presentation:
participation: 20%; covering all the points 30%; using the key words in Chinese 20%; correct pronunciation and fluency 20%; listing your reference 10%
The unit includes the knowledge of ethnicities and facilitates your understanding of ethnic issues in China. It also helps build the connection between the ethnicities and their regions.
- Task 1 Pre-class survey
- Task 2 Google slides: China regions https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1h0oXS7p1bh-433_JCZoSGKI8j8fJn31A/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=113954787451563908484&rtpof=true&sd=true
- 1) Task 3 Chart: ethnicities in China
- Tasks 4 Google slides: Two minor ethnicities
- Task 5
- Source of life video http://english.www.gov.cn/news/videos/202203/22/content_WS6239a7acc6d02e53353281db.html
- CNN Travel Video
- China Interview Tibetan people video
- Resource extraction article
- Task 6: Litang video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzMqOjSswJU&ab_channel=SpokespersonCHN%E5%8F%91%E8%A8%80%E4%BA%BA%E5%8A%9E%E5%85%AC%E5%AE%A4
- Task 7 Post-class survey on China regions and ethnicities