What is Erosion?
It is the removal of land by wind, water, or ice. It shapes the Earth's surface.
In this picture, you can see how over time water washed the land away.
What is Soil Erosion?
This is the natural process of removal of the top layer of soil. There are several causes of soil erosion.
Click on this link to learn more about each cause! You will also learn some ways we could help prevent soil erosion.
Soil erosion is a natural process, however, humans contribute to the increase of soil erosion in some instances.
Construction by humans is a major contributor to soil erosion. See the picture below!
When we use equipment to disturb the soil, we also disturb living things.
Watch this short video to learn more about the types of soil erosion and what we can do to prevent it!
1. What is erosion?
2. What is soil erosion?
3. What is one type of soil erosion called?
a. wind erosion
b. gully erosion
c. ice erosion
d. lava erosion
4. You can plant ___________ to help prevent soil erosion.
5. Which one would be a cause of soil erosion?
a. air pollution
b. loss of fertile soil
d. water pollution
6. Farmers can practice ___________ farming to help prevent soil erosion.
7. List the three natural forces that cause erosion.
_______________ _______________ ________________
8. How can humans help prevent soil erosion?
9. When humans build new _____________ and _____________, it contributes to major soil erosion.
10. True or False: Soil erosion can be helpful in aiding soil fertility for farming.