This webquest is here to introduce you to the history of mental health, specifically dealing with Electroshock therapy.
Answer the following questions in complete sentences using information collected from the websites provided:
1) What is Electroshock treatment and when was it first used? Who discovered it?
http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n04/historia/shock_i.htm (Look at information under the heading "Electroconvulsive Shock Therapy")
2) What was it used for?
3) Discuss the procedure. What were the major side effects?
4) What are a few of the major mental health disorders that are identified today? What do you thing Esther suffers from?
5) What are a few resources (programs, services, treatments) offered today?
http://healthymindscanada.ca/anti-stigma-campaign/ (Look at Resources and Education)
6) Find a person on this list who has used electroshock therapy (Not Plath. We already know her.)
- Name the person.
- Explain how that person is famous
- Why did they go through the treatment?
- What was their reaction to it? Positive? Negative? What happened?
7) Go to this website https://www.talkspace.com/blog/history-inhumane-mental-health-treatments/
- Identify 3 procedures
- Explain WHY those procedures are awful
- Look up if they are still used, and if they have been improved/replaced.
Answer the following questions based on what you have seen:
A) What was the experience like for these people who originally got it? How do you know it is so bad? (Be specific)
B) Should this procedure have been used in the past? Should the procedure be still used now?
C) How do people feel after their treatment?
D) What difference does it make to those who receive it? Are there other treatments to go along with it?
E) What are some negative/common side effects?
F) When is it recommended?
7) Now that you have looked at how programs, services, and treatments have changed over the last 40 years, has your thoughts surrounding the negative stigmas of mental health (particularly ECT) changed at all? Do you think this type of therapy should still be performed? Explain.
Out of 5 points
5. Full and complete answers.
4. Full sentences, missed some here and there.
3. Missed some, and incomplete sentences.
2. Lazy answers.
1. Barely any effort.