Today, video games make up a $100 billion global industry, and nearly two-thirds of American homes have household members who play video games regularly. And it’s really no wonder: Video games have been around for decades and span the gamut of platforms, from arcade systems, to home consoles, to handheld consoles and mobile devices. They’re also often at the forefront of computer technology.
Your task will be to create a Pecha Kucha Presentation which will illustrate the history of video games.
A Pecha Kucha is a PowerPoint presentation in which each slide lasts 20 seconds for a total of 6 min and 40 sec. The idea behind the Pecha Kucha is to limit the amount of time speakers have to make their presentations.
- You will work in groups of 4. Each group member will speak for 90 seconds or 5 slides
- Read again the article
- Use the graphic organizer to create a timeline of the history of video games.This has to be included in one of the slides
- Research about the most important game developers and briefly talk about them in the Pecha Kucha
- Research about the most important and iconic video games, provide a short description, including price
- Research about the most important video game publishers and what percentage of market share they have
- Decide what pictures or graphic you will use in the Pecha Kucha Presentation
- Avoid using text in the slides
- Submit your presentation to the teacher for review prior. Make sure to include a bibliography of the sources used. Each picture use must have the source
In the credits section, you will be able to find some resources to help you create the Pecha Kucha
- There will be an overall and individual grade
- Each group member will be evaluated for length, intonation, pronunciation and correct use grammar
- The overall assessment will be based on content, collaboration, creativity and quality of the pictures
- Communicates competently
- Speaks fluently
- Masters a variety of grammatical structures
- Uses extensive and specific video game design vocabulary
- Presentation is engaging
- The presentation meets content requirement
- Pronunciation and intonation are adequate
- Length requirements are met
Video games will continue to evolve as technology will make them more available. Virtual and Augmented reality will be present in all aspects of life. Therefore, the video game industry should ensure they are inclusive, diverse and help raise awareness to society´s problems.