Project-based learning has become an essential part of education. The effectiveness of a project can vary from the activities provided by the teacher to the general outcome that students want to achieve. Furthermore, projects can develop 21st-century skills such as teamwork, problem-solving, utilizing high tech tools, among others. With this combination of skills, students become directors and managers of their learning process, guided and mentored by a skilled teacher.
This project is based to help learners to improve speaking, writing and reading skills. Moreover, learners must work in groups of five members. It is important to emphasize that this amount is based on a classroom where the total of students is thirty-five. At the end of this project, students will be able to express their ideas using the present simple tense, phrasal verbs, including some new vocabulary words. Additionally, the teachers should guide students to achieve goals without problems paying attention to the details and providing some feedback before each class.
This project will also help students to enhance personal and social responsibility. The type of this project is multiple intelligence because all the activities will guide students to have strong communication skills, both for interpersonal and presentation needs. Consequently, cross-cultural understanding will be the main focus of this project because learners will read about different dishes around the world. The activity of knowing how and when to use technology and choosing the most appropriate tool for the task will the most important objective achieved during this learning process.
The final outcome of this project is that learners will be able to describe their favorite international food in an open house fair. They also will be able to describe the preparation of each dish and its importance in the country they will talk about. They will use many materials to achieve this outcome such as carton, markers, powerpoint presentations, videos, music, flags, among other important things to recreate the country they are representing.
First of all, learners need to know what kind of activities they will perform during the project. The teacher during all classes must write down on the board all the relevant content to all learners. For instance topics, tenses, new vocabulary and so on. This alternative will guide learners to don't be confused during all the project time. Remember, the organization is important during the creation of a project.
- What learners are going to do during the first section of the project is to read about different cultures around the world the information is this link http://www.travelstart.co.ke/blog/5-fascinating-cultures-around-the-world/. They need to understand the importance of all traditional dishes and their traditional yarn. The teacher will provide the following link to keep the attention of learners in technology.
- Second, learners will read about international foods provided by the teacher in the following link https://www.smartertravel.com/international-foods-try-die/ in order to select all the important information about the dish and the country. This step is really important because they need to know well the main characteristics of the dish before recreating it.
- Third, the teacher will provide the following video link about food and its impact on society https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyQY8a-ng6g to increase learners' motivation. All these activities must be considered "pre" project because learners in this first section will only take notes, ask some questions, and organize all the content in their notebooks.
- Finally, learners will randomly be classified into teams of five. The purpose of this strategy is to increase communication and collaboration skills among them. They will choose one country to depict in the project's final oral presentation.
The second part of the project is considered the most important because learners will work on their final project. It should be noted that this whole process will be controlled by the teacher during class hours to avoid learning problems. Besides, the teacher will play a very important role during this section because he or she will give some theoretical knowledge to learners before carrying out the project.
- The teacher will explain what learners are going to do during this section. All the class will already know what country they will represent later. So, the teacher will help learners to choose the most relevant information from Wikipedia about the country they selected. He or she will provide the following link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page to help learners to take notes underlining important information.
This activity will help learners to improve reading skills like skimming, scanning, previewing, and so on.
- After that, the teacher will explain some phrasal verbs related to cooking. Remember that students will explain also the preparation of the dish.
- Immediately, the teacher will create a list based on a piece of webpage information eslbuzz.com/useful-phrasal-verbs-about-food-and-cooking/ about phrasal verbs to explain to the class. The teacher will write it on the board including some pictures to help learners in better understanding.
- For instance could be like that: 1. Bake off 6. Cut off
2. Boil away 7. Eat out
3. Boil down 8. Fry up
4. Boil over 9. Slice off
5. Chop up 10. Whip up
- Also, the teacher can make some sentences to improve learners' skills. The purpose of this activity is that learners acquire enough vocabulary to get a better grade in the final project.
- The teacher will divide some phrasal verbs to all the teams to create powerpoint presentations about the use, definition, and examples.
KEEP IN MIND THAT ALL THESE ACTIVITIES CAN BE APPLIED IN DIFFERENT DAYS. THIS WILL DEPEND ON STUDENTS’ ENTHUSIASM AS WELL AS THE USE OF TECHNOLOGICAL TOOLS.
The last part of the project is the final oral presentation.
- First, students will need some visual aids like flags, pictures, tables, chairs, background music, among others to create the perfect and real atmosphere of what the country they are representing.
- Collaboration skills will take part during this process because learners will interact with each other deeply.
- Besides, interpersonal skills are also involved in this part of the project
- Some students can bring some handouts to invite the community to be part of the fair.
- Learners will use all the vocabulary already studied for the final oral presentation. The main goal is that students should be able to present the preparation of the dish in a fluently way.
- At the end of the day, students will be able to improve speaking skills because they need to convince all the class that their country is the best in preparing a dish.
- As autonomous work students will know all the ingredients they need to prepare the dish. A link should be provided by the teacher to guide them so they will choose the ingredients vocabulary easier. https://regevelya.com/foods-around-the-world/
- Finally, the oral presentation of each group’s findings can take as much time as is appropriate, depending on the enthusiasm and language level of the class.
Formative: the aspects to consider for this evaluation are
- The student's skills to work in an organized manner both individually and in groups.
- The student's ability to solve problems with critical thinking and that promotes a good relationship with their peers.
- The participatory process in class, with references or opinions that are relevant and enrich knowledge.
Summative: the evaluation of this project is carried out taking into account the criteria of the following rubric.
|Preparedness||Student is completely prepared and has obviously rehearsed.||Student seems pretty prepared but might have needed a couple more rehearsals.||The student is somewhat prepared, but it is clear that rehearsal was lacking.||Student does not seem at all prepared to present.|
|Shows a good understanding of the topic.||Shows a good understanding of parts of the topic.||Does not seem to understand the topic very well.|
|Speaks Clearly||Speaks clearly and distinctly all (100-95%) the time, and mispronounces no words.||Speaks clearly and distinctly all (100-95%) the time, but mispronounces one word.||Speaks clearly and distinctly most ( 94-85%) of the time. Mispronounces no more than one word.||Often mumbles or can not be understood OR mispronounces more than one word.|
|Comprehension||Student is able to accurately answer almost all questions posed by classmates about the topic.||Student is able to accurately answer most questions posed by classmates about the topic.||Student is able to accurately answer a few questions posed by classmates about the topic.||Student is unable to accurately answer questions posed by classmates about the topic.|
|Presentation elements||It is easy to identify the country through the costumes, the plate and performance.||There is lack of elements, but it is possible to identify the country through the costumes, the plate and performance.||The presentation is basic and does not fully represent the country.||No elements.|
Rubric created by: Angie Aguirre, Christian Jijón and Santiago Velastegui
There are some conclusions of this project that we need to emphasize.
- This project gives students controlled opportunities to provide their content during lessons. In addition, students will learn how to explain, share their ideas and also convince the information.
- It also increases students’ learning motivation because allow students to work as a group, sharing opinions and advice. Speaking is important to get students to involve in learning.
- The final oral presentation stage gives excellent practice in extended speaking which is useful for higher levels.
- Also, students because of this project will try to stop monotone such as asking and answering questions. Activities will be more dynamic and the result will be fantastic.
- A project can be a good round-up of a term or a school year. In this case, "international food" can involve and summarize a whole book unit.
- Students can present their work orally to the rest of the class.
ALL THE CONTENT OF THIS PROJECT IS THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING LINKS THAT FACILITATED US IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE PROJECT
THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN DEVELOPED BY
- ANGIE AGUIRRE
- CHRISTIAN JIJÓN
- SANTIAGO VELASTEGUI
UNIVERSIDAD TÉCNICA DE AMBATO
FACULTAD DE CIENCIAS HUMANAS Y DE LA EDUCACIÓN
PEDAGOGÍA DE LOS IDIOMAS NACIONALES Y EXTRANJEROS