Topic: The lifecycle of a chicken
Objective: determine the sequence of the life cycle of a chicken
Standard: S2L1. Obtain, evaluate, and communicate information about the life cycles of different living organisms.
- a. Ask questions to determine the sequence of the life cycle of common animals in your area: a mammal such as a cat, dog or classroom pet, a bird such as a chicken, an amphibian such as a frog, and an insect such as a butterfly
The Life Cycle of a Chicken:
Stage one: Egg
Stage two: Hatchling
Stage 3: Chick
Stage 4: Adult
1. Watch this video
2. Label the life cycle with the following words: Hen, Chick, Hatchling, Egg
1. What is the first stage of the life cycle of a chicken? __________________
2. What is the second stage of the life cycle of a chicken?________________
3. What is the third stage of the life cycle of a chicken?__________________
4. What is the final stage of the life cycle of a chicken? ___________________
Full credit if student can label all parts of the life cycle successfully on their own.
If multiple students are struggling, we will re-evaluate and go over again.
This activity will fulfill the stated objective and standards. The children will learn more about how a chicken is born and raised. Many of the students in this area live on chicken farms, or have a small clutch of chickens to keep their family in eggs.