Often the easiest form of transportation in a rural area is to drive yourself but you need to have a valid driver's license to do so legally. A driver's license is not something you just sign up for, there is a process you must follow.
In this WebQuest you will learn about the requirements needed to obtain a NC Driver's License and create an informational brochure for other students who want to get their driver's license too.
1. Determine what steps you must follow in order to obtain a NC Driver's License.
2. Create a brochure for other students wishing to obtain a NC Driver's License.
Step 1: In a new tab go to https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id/driver-licenses/new-drivers/Pages/license-learner-permit.aspx
Step 2: Answer the following questions on a sheet of notebook paper in complete sentences so they make sense later.
- What age must you be to apply for a learner's permit or driver's license?
- If you are aged 15-17, what can you apply for?
- What four tests must you pass to get a driver's license?
- Describe the four tests.
- What documents should you bring with you to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) when you go to apply for your license?
- How much does it cost to get a learner's permit or license?
- Are there restrictions on driver's licenses? If so, what is one restriction that a person may have?
- If you pass the test will you get your learner's permit that same day? How and when will you get it?
- What is graduated licensing? Tell who has to get it and what the process is.
- What other interesting information did you find?
Step 3: Using the information you gathered, create a brochure for other teens who wish to obtain a driver's license. Determine what information is important for them to have and links to information or activities that would be helpful to them in preparing for their appointment.
This activity counts as a project grade (projects are weighted 40% of your grade).
- Answer to each of the ten questions: 6 points each.
- Complete sentences.
- Thoroughly answered question.
- Brochure: 40 points.
- At least 3 illustrations with captions.
- Legible handwriting.
- Complete sentences with appropriate capitalization and punctuation.
- Factual information.
- Two Internet links related to obtaining a driver's license.
Congratulations! Now you know the steps needed to obtain a driver's license. In your next modules you will practice taking the online tests for written questions and sign recognition to see how ready you are.