If you want to work as a travel agent and be successful in what you do, it is very important for you to know exactly what your responsibilities towards your clients and partners are.
In this webquest we will learn about:
building of a package holiday
the difference between tour operators and travel agencies
tasks and responsibilities of tour operators and travel agents
Your task for this webquest is to find out exactly what package holidays are and to explore the differences between tour operators and travel agencies. You are going to work in groups of three and you are going to focus on the following:
Using the information that you find, you will compile a booklet which will contain all the relevant information as well as the information sources that you used during your quest.
Follow the steps below for the first process in your project. Please print off the worksheets before you conduct your research as they contain directions that have to be followed:
1) In groups of three, learn about package holidays by using the link and filling out the worksheet below.
What are package holidays?
1. What are other names for a package holiday?
2. What does it comprise?
3. Who sells package holidays?
4. What other services may be provided?
5. How can transport be arranged?
6. What does product bundling mean?
7. Who sells package holiday to consumers/customers?
8. Who can travel agents work for?
9. Define the term dynamic packaging. Why are they called ‘dynamic’?
2. Two groups are then going to choose one of the following and fill out the worksheet
1) Tour operators
1. What is the basic task of a tour operator?
2. How do they disseminate information about their packages?
3. What is included in the price of a tour operator’s product?
4. What are niche tour operators?
5. How has the internet partially replaced tour operators?
2) Travel agencies
1. What services do travel agents offer to their customers?
2. What does a separate department within a travel agency deal with?
3. What is a travel agency’s main function?
4. What is a commission?
5. How would you explain the “supermarket concept”?
3) Differences between tour operators and travel agencies
Once you have completed your assigned part, you will complete the following worksheet using the links below.
1. What is a tour operator responsible for?
2. What is a travel agent responsible for?
3. How do travel agents choose package holidays for their clients?
4. Is it possible to ‘cut out’ a tour operator? If yes, how?
5. Why do some people still prefer to contact a travel agency first?
6. Who earns more, a tour operator or a travel agent?
Now that you have completed all the components of process one, proceed to process two!
Using the knowledge that you have gained in process one, it is now your job as a group to write at least a one page double spaced conclusion to “Package Holidays, Tour Operators and Travel agencies”. The components of this response are as follows.
Great work! You are now at the last part of your project!! Below is the requirement for your booklet. Follow the directions and compiling your booklet will be a snap.
Using your worksheets that you have filled out at task two, write at least one page double spaced paper with your conclusions related to: "Package Holidays, Tour Operators and Travel Agencies”
Booklet Compilation Directions
1) Must have a cover page which includes the topic, group members, and some kind of artistic portrayal.
2) Table of Contents page - components must be in the following order
3) Compile the components in the booklet (folder or binder) in the order above.
**Take liberty in font style, colour, and design. Feel free to add pictures, maps, etc. to show those that look through your booklets that you have gained a strong understanding in this topic.**
|Completed package holiday basic information||Worksheet not filled out.||Worksheet filled out. Lacking correct information and appropriate responses.||Worksheet filled out. Correct answers but lacking descriptions that show knowledge has been gained.||Worksheet filled out with correct answers and appropriate responses that demonstrate that knowledge has been gained.|
Information on tour operators (worksheet)
|Worksheet not filled out.||Worksheet filled out. Lacking correct information and appropriate responses.||Worksheet filled out. Correct answers but lacking descriptions that show knowledge has been gained.||Worksheet filled out with correct answers and appropriate responses that demonstrate that knowledge has been gained.|
|Differences between tour operators and travel agencies (worksheet)||Worksheet not filled out.||Worksheet filled out. Lacking correct information and appropriate responses.||Worksheet filled out. Correct answers but lacking descriptions that show knowledge has been gained.||Worksheet filled out with correct answers and appropriate responses that demonstrate that knowledge has been gained.|
|Conclusion: “Package Holidays, Tour Operators and Travel Agencies”||no conclusion||Conclusion is less than one page and lacks deeper thinking and connections.||Conclusion is appropriate length but lacks deeper thinking and connections.||Conclusion is appropriate length and demonstrates deeper thinking and connections.|
|Booklet||no booklet||Booklet is lacking key components.||Booklet contains all key components but not all directions were followed.||Booklet contains all key components and all directions were followed.|
This webquest was created by a team of teachers, within the co-funded Erasmus plus KA2 partnership “English for hospitality” (EN4HOSTS), project number: 2017-1-RO01-KA201-037159, KA2 - Cooperation for Innovation and the Exchange of Good Practices ,KA201 - Strategic Partnerships for school education.
The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.