Yo ho, yo ho - students will use a web quest to discover a treasure of facts and information about pirates.
Students will participate in an inquiry-oriented activity to learn how to find information on the web. Students will practice reading informational texts with a purpose.
Ahoy mateys! Have you ever wondered if all the stories you have read and heard about pirates are true or do you think they are just made up adventures? AYE - you will embark on your own adventure by using a web quest to help you determine the facts vs. fiction about ye pirates of old! Arrrgh - stay on task or walk the plank!
Just as pirate captains kept their crew busy while at sea with work to do such as "swabbing" or mopping the deck, you have some tasks to do as well. While you seek a treasure of information, you have work or "quests" or that you must complete in order to find the loot!
Be sure to write down your answers in the Captain's Log (recording sheet).
First, check out the following website and look for answers to the following questions: https://www.tenfactsabout.com/0021pirates.htm
1. True or False - pirates ONLY existed in long ago history.
2. Believe it or not - Blackbeard was a true life pirate! What was his real name?
3. What was the name of Blackbeard's famous ship?
4. Although we often associate pirates with buried treasure, who was the only pirate known to have buried his loot?
5. Why did pirate ships fly the "Jolly Roger?"
6. Most of what we know about pirates does come from fictional stories. Name at least one famous pirate story and when it was written.
7. Why did pirates wear earrings?
Explore the following website for a treasure trove of information and finalize your Captain's log: http://www.the-pirate-ship.com/
8. What is a pirate's favorite pet and why?
9. What is the actual date of the "International Talk Like a Pirate Day?"
10. Write a fact about pirates that you enjoyed learning.
You have finished searching the Internet for TRUE pirate information and recorded your facts and answers for future pirates. You should be proud of the work you have accomplished. I hope you had a swashbuckling good time!
If you have ever seen the movie, "Pirates of the Caribbean," you might enjoy the following quiz: