we use the present continuous ( am,is,are + ing) to talk about temporary things which have begun but haven't finished.
If a verb ends in e, you take off the e and add –ing
have - having ride - riding
If a verb ends in a vowel + a consonant, the consonant is usually doubled before you add –ing.
swim - swimming run - running
But be careful with verbs with more than two syllables where the stress isn't on the last syllable. With those you don't double the consonant.
visit - visiting open - opening
there is a group of verbs which are called state verbs which we use for states (not actions) and we don't usually use these in the continuous form.
want - need - like - love - hate - prefer - believe - think - know - realise - understand - recognise - suppose - be - exist - appear - look - seem - belong - have (for possession) - own - feel - smell - taste
Check your grammar: true or false - present continuous
1. We use the present continuous for permanent states or situations.
2. We use the present continuous for temporary situations.
3. We often use the present continuous for things happening right now.
4. We can use the present continuous for future arrangements.
5. We can use the present continuous with all verbs.
6. Some verbs – for talking about emotions, thinking, the senses, etc. – cannot be used in the continuous form.
7. Sometimes the spelling of the infinitive form changes when we add -ing.
Write the present continuous form of the verb in brackets.
8 items remaining
1. I'm really busy___(study) for the exam.
2. Right now we ___ (ride) camels!
3. They said they ___ (have) a great time.
4. Daisy ___ (download) an album.
5. What ___ (you do) at the moment?
6. They ___ (wait) for me in the café.
7. ___ (Oliver work) hard?
8. The weather's terrible, so we ___ (not go) walking much.
Task 3 Choose the correct option.
1.Which sentence is correct?
a)She's knowing Alfie very well.
b)She knows Alfie very well.
c)She knowing Alfie very well.
2. Which sentence is correct?
a)You going to Chinese classes?
b)Are you going to Chinese classes?
c)Do you going to Chinese classes?
3.Which sentence is correct?
a)He going to buy some milk.
b)He is go to buy some milk.
c)He's going to buy some milk.
4.Which sentence is correct?
a)The price of food goes up at the moment.
b)The price of food is going up at the moment.
c) The price of food going up at the moment.
5. Which sentence is correct?
a)What are you doing?
b)What are you do?
c)What do you doing?
Three tasks were given about the present continuous tense.
7 points in 1 task
8 points in 2 tasks
5 points in 3 tasks
maximum score is 20
very good 16-20
bad 0-9, is counted on
In this study, we get to know that The Present continuous tense refers to an action occurring at the time it is spoken, and to an event that isn't completed yet. We use this tense for temporary action, to talk about changes, developments, and trends.