Welcome to learning about Ray Bradbury! Through this activity, you will learn about this most prolific writer and thinker of the 20th century, as well as the genre of Science Fiction.
This WebQuest will give you background knowledge about Mr. Bradbury, his life, and his work. You will also get more background information about the sci-fi genre and compare it to other genres of writing.
Go to this link: https://www.raybradbury.com/
Use your resources to find the answers to the following questions:
1. When was Ray Bradbury born?
2. When did Mr. Bradbury's write his very first piece of science fiction writing?
3. What element of sci-fi did it contain?
4. Besides books, what else has Ray Bradbury written?
5. List at least 2 other accomplishments that he achieved outside of writing.
6. Go to "About Ray Bradbury" and read the "Biography" tab. What other awards has Ray won, besides literature awards?
Now go to this link: https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/451/ and answer the following questions.
1. Go to the "Infographic" tab. Write the basic plot of the novel here in a few sentences (do not copy and paste!).
2. List the 6 main characters with a brief description of each.
3. (Scroll down).Explain briefly why the government in this book bans people from reading books.
4. Explain what makes this novel science fiction. (you will have to think about this - not stated directly.)
Go to this link: https://www.biography.com/writer/ray-bradbury
Scroll through until you find out what Bradbury considered to be the main idea of Fahrenheit 451.
State it here:
Do you agree with his views? Explain:
Scroll through this link to Bradbury's science fiction titles and click on their descriptions. Which ones appeal to you and why?