This webquest was designed to introduce the topic of endangered species to studens in grades 4-6. It was also designed to help students aid in leadership and decision-making skills that can be applicable to other activities.
Welcome! You have been contacted by a wildlife conservation effort! Your mission is to help them in their quest to save an endangered species!
For this Webquest, you will complete the following tasks:
- You will learn about what an endangered species is
- You will look at the list of endangered species and choose a species to save
- You will identify the source of population depletion for said species and come up with a practical way to combat this problem
- You will prepare a short presentation for the class describing the species, its population decline, and your plan to save the species
- You will learn about what an endangered species is by watching this video
(click the link) ----> https://www.schooltube.com/video/8644f94d9ac441e9adc7/Endangered_Species
- You will choose your species from the official WWF list. Please note that by choosing a "critically endangered" species it will be a lot more difficult to come up with a solution, but you are permitted to choose any species on the list.
- You will identify the source of population depletion in the species, and come up with a way to solve this problem.
You may use the following sources to gather information:
Encyclopedia Britannica: ----> https://www.britannica.com/
Awesome Library -----> https://www.awesomelibrary.org/
The British Library ----->https://www.bl.uk/
- You will prepare a short presentation for the class. Your presentation should be made in the following order:
- Title of slideshow, name, and class hour
- A slide describing the species you chose. Include things like the species' habitat, diet, predators and patterns of migration.
- A slide including a line graph showing the species population decline over the last 100 years (we will go over as a class how to create a line graph)
- A slide describing the issue that caused the species' population to decline
- A slide containing your plan to save this species.
- A slide containing all the sources used in your project
Student shows that they understand what an endangered species is
|Student shows little to no understanding of what an endangered species is||Student shows some knowledge of endangered species||Student clearly demonstrates understanding of what an endangered species is|
|Student Completes slideshow containing all six slides to fulfill requirements||Student does not complete a slideshow||Student makes a slideshow but fails to include all six slides||Student creates slideshow with all six slides|
|Student produces a solution to their species' endangerment||Student does not come up with a solution||Student comes up with a solution, but that solution cannot be implemented under current real-world circumstances||Student creates an applicable solution to the population decline of their selected species|
Congratulations! Thanks to you, your species has a better chance of survival! Thank you for helping to save our planet!
Picture on introduction page: https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/silhouette-safari-scene-dawn_2439470.htm
Image on "task" page: https://newsela.com/read/BHP-U5-2-biosphere
image on conclusion page: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/401524123006362802/