We are learning to:
- Identify the Eight Planets in our Solar System
- compare orbiting times
- write an information report on a particular planet
- identify and model the size and distance between Earth and other planets
- identify all Eight Planets
- create & recite a mnemonic to remember the order of all eight planets
- use a planning template to gather information for an information report
- write an information report on a chosen planet
- create a model of the solar system that includes the relative size and distance between Earth and the other planets
- correctly label a model
- use effective group skills
You have a very important Space Mission! to complete. You must find all eight planets, where they are located near the sun and how they compare in size to the Planet Earth. Remember My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nachos. If you can solve this riddle you are almost there! Happy Space Findings, Earthlings!!!!
1. First you will need to identify the eight planets. To do this please visit the website https://kidsastronomy.com/solar-system/.
2. Next you will watch the following video:
You will need to keep a journal with your notes from this lesson. This journal can be completed in your Inquiry book and will be graded on its organisation and information gathered pertaining to the lesson.
You will then choose 1 planet to complete an in-depth Information Report on. Information reports must include the information required on the planning template. Your teacher will have this template
You will then complete a quiz on the eight planets and the solar system in your journal
Solar System Quiz
1. What is the sun?
a. A star
b. A light
c. A yellow hole in the sky
2. Which planet is closest to the sun?
3. What is the moon?
a. The sun
b. An object that rotates around the earth
c. A Meteor
4. Which object is located most closely to the center of the solar system?
5. Who visits outer space?
6. Which planet is furthest from the sun?
7. Does earth rotate or revolve around the sun? ____________________________________________
8. True or False The sun is a planet.______________________
9. True or False Astronauts have landed on Mars. ___________________________
10. List the names of all nine planets in the solar system. _____________________________________________________________________________________
6. Last you will be split into small groups by your teacher where you will design a model of the solar system given paint, foam balls, paper, and sticks. In this model you must display where planets are located in relation to the sun and Earth and label it correctly.
Each student will be graded individually using a rubric which can be collected from the teacher.
At the end of this lesson you will be able to identify the eight planets. You will also be able to establish a correlation between the Earth to the sun as well as the approximate distance to the Sun. You will be able to successfully name the nine planets as well as provide in depth information on at least one other planet besides Earth. Upon completing this lesson please provide what other information you have learned about the solar system and its planets.
You have successfully completed your mission and have now become an expert on The Solar System and the Eight Planets!!!!!!!!!!!!!