The United Nations created 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development. UN member countries are working on the goals between now and the year 2030. Sustainable development refers to developing and growing our society in ways that improve living conditions in the present without ruining Earth’s resources for future generations.
Today we are going to discover more about the Global Goal #10 - Reduced Inequalities and begin to look at what the United Nations are trying to achieve in this area.
Research and discover the reasons and impacts of inequalities in our modern world.
Your focus will be on the two core areas of inequalities that we see most: (1) Income Inequality and (2) Social Inequality.
The lens of your study will come through researching the U.S Women's National Soccer Team (USWNT) and their ongoing dispute for equality with U.S Soccer Federation. You will create a short news report that will help teach your classmates about the facts and issues surrounding the case.
You will be working independently to complete a WebQuest on the social and income inequality dispute between the USWNT and US Soccer Federation. You demonstrate your understanding of the issues and facts of this case by writing a brief News Report on the story.
There will be 3 major steps in this WebQuest:
1. Research and analyze a variety of sources to learn about the issues involving the USWNT and US Soccer Federation.
2. Through your research, you will come to an opinion on whether or not the USWNT has a valid dispute over income and social inequalities that have been put in place by the US Soccer Federation.
3. Once you have arrived at your opinion, you will go back though your resources and look for relevant facts/evidence that is supportive and backs up your view on the issue. You are looking for AT LEAST 3 pieces of supportive evidence.
4. Plan out your News Report using the template provided here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iolUs6pE7ycR_PvvlTSu3-fYakKpvji0-OzH_M-LQ7c/edit?usp=sharing
5. Create your final draft of the News Report assignment.
6. Proof read and edit your work.
7. Prepare to share and listen to your other classmates news reports on the same issue.
8. As you are listening to your classmates, think about whether or not they are swaying or changing your opinion on the issue.
9. REFLECT: Do you standby your opinion or has your opinion changed based on your classmates news reports?
|3 pts.||2 pts.||1 pts.|
|Provides Opinion on the issue||Author clearly states their opinion on the issue||Author doesn't clearly state opinion, but makes it clear through their writing||No opinion given by author|
|Provides Evidence/facts that support opinion||At least 3 pieces of evidence was provided to support opinion||At least 2 pieces of evidence was provided to support opinion||
|Proof Reading/Editing||Very few, if any, writing errors were found||Between 3-5 writing errors were found||Multiple (5 or more) writing errors were found|
Great job! You have researched and analyzed issues of income and social inequality related to the dispute between the USWNT and US Soccer Federation.
As you are listening to your classmates, think about whether or not they are swaying or changing your opinion on the issue. Do you standby your opinion or has your opinion changed based on your classmates news reports?
1. Global Goal #10 - Reduced Inequalities Explained (video)
2. Guardian News Video of President Biden, First Lady Jill Biden, and soccer player Megan Rapinoe discussing pay discrimination
3. Newsela Article describing the issues between USWNT and US Soccer Federation
4. Video Explaining Gender Pay Gaps
5.The Economist explains why women are payed less than men
6. An Economist Explains: Why women get paid less...