This Web Quest will introduce the US government and everything it encompasses. It covers the three branches, how a bill becomes a law, and the electoral process. This Web Quest is designed for a 5th grade Social Studies class. Students will be visiting multiple websites and following the rubric and tasks to ensure the success of the Web Quest.
In the end of the Web Quest students will summarize the three branches of government. There will be detailed assignments throughout this process to do so. After, there will be a reader's theatre where the cast includes, the bill, the house, the senate, the president, and the narrator.
1. Pick a partner and spread out the cards given to you. The cards include the words
- Legislative Branch
- Executive Branch
- Judicial Branch
- House of Representatives
- Vice President
- Supreme Court
- Enforces Laws
- Makes Laws
- Interprets Laws
2. Follow this link to gather and take notes on a three circle diagram the information on the branches.
3. When done, group the words into who is in that branch and what is their responsibility.
4. Following this you will watch a video on being a president and the process.
- Create a campaign ad for yourself and the steps you have to take to do that.
5. Next, is the Bill process, watch the video on how a bill becomes a law.
- Create a flow chart, be creative, containing the steps to a law.
After completing the matching game, a campaign ad, action plan, and a flow chart, the Web Quest is complete. In addition reflect on how the government is balanced, do you see any flaws? Does the bill process assure it is constitutional? To follow up, check out these websites about the government.