Teaching Guide TIE-542-0-NLU Matthew McGuire
TITLE: VAN GOGH`s EAR
INTRODUCTION: What is the real story about what happened to famous Artist Vincent Van Gogh`s ear? This WebQuest will be the introduction to self portraits and facial dimensions and drawing. Van Gogh did many self portraits and learning about him will be a great way to engage students. Using the mystery and graphic nature surrounding his ear or lack of ear will further engage student especially boys.
AIM: The aim is to have students learn about Vincent Van Gogh.they will also learn about Impressionism and how in was influenced by Van Gogh and how it influenced him.
RATIONALE: Van Gogh and Impressionism helped shape all Art styles to follow.
GENERAL GOALS: Students will know what makes an impressionistic painting impressionistic. Students will be able to identify characteristics if color and brush movements that are impressionistic. This WebQuest aligns with the schools Fine Arts curriculum. Our department teaches units on Self portraits and facial dimensions,layout and proportion.
LEARNER DESCRIPTION: Grades 9-10 Art students all male
SUBJECTMATTER: • Art
Students will research Vincent Van Gogh and his life in the “Yellow House”
Students will learn about Van Gogh and his obsession and relationship with Famous
Artist Paul Gauguin.
Students will learn about Impressionism and all of its aspects.
- Students will be given WebQuest
- Students will be given instructions on how to complete web quest will be introduced to Vincent Van Gogh
- Students will research and learn about Van Gogh
- Students will research and learn about Impressionism
- Students will learn about Van Gogh`s works
- Students will learn about Impressionism and Post-Impressionism
- Students will learn about painting styles,brush strokes and color choice will research Van Gogh paintings
- Students will assemble paintings on a timeline.
- Students will compare timeline to major events in Van Gogh`s life
- Students will research Van Gogh Mental status in relation to his Art
• The WebQuest will be taught/given to students in my classroom on personal devices(BYOD).
The students will be working alone at first and then will pair up later and then share.
I will be teaching this lesson
Students are to answer all questions from web quest is 3-5 sentence format.
Students are to identify all paintings in the WebQuest and assemble them in a timeline.
Students will present their findings in a powerpoint,prezi or video format.
• STANDARDS USED: Illinois State Standards for Fine Arts
All of these taken directly from
• STATE GOAL 25: Know the language of the arts.
A. Understand the sensory elements, organizational principles and expressive qualities of the arts
• 25.A.4 Analyze and evaluate the effective use of elements,principles and expressive qualities in a composition/performance in dance, drama, music and visual arts.
B. Understand the similarities, distinctions and connections in and among the arts
• 25.B.4 Analyze and evaluate similar and distinctive characteristics of works in two or more of the arts that share the same historical period or societal context.•
STATE GOAL 26:Through creating and performing, understand how works of art are produced
• A. Understand processes, traditional tools and modern technologies used in the arts.
• 26.A.4e Visual Arts:Analyze and evaluate how tools/technologies and processes combine to convey meaning.
• B. Apply skills and knowledge necessary to create and perform in one or more of the arts.
• 26.B.4d Visual Arts: Demonstrate knowledge and skills that communicate clear and focused ideas based on planning, research and problem solving.
• STATE GOAL 27: Understand the role of the arts in civilizations, past and present.
A. Analyze how the arts function in history, society and everyday life.
27.A.4a Evaluate how consumer trends in the arts affect the types and styles of art products.
27.A.4b Analyze how the arts are used to inform and persuade through traditional and contemporary art forms.
B. Understand how the arts shape and reflect history, society and everyday life.
27.B.4a Analyze and classify the distinguishing characteristics of historical and contemporary art works by style, period and culture.
27.B.4b Understand how the arts change in response to changes in society.
All of these taken directly from
• (ISTE) Standards:
Creativity and Innovation:
• B) Create original works as a means of personal or group expression. • D) Identify trends and forecast possibilities.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making:
• C) Collect and analyze data to identify solutions and/or make informed decisions. • D) Use multiple processes and diverse perspectives to explore alternative