This week in engineering we will focus on creating a proper diagram of your model. The idea of drafting a proper diagram is not to just help you in creating your model, but in helping anyone who needs to reproduce your idea. We will learn two major concepts which give a diagram the ability to be properly reproduced; Scaling your model and creating a key.
We will also learn about aerospace engineering and concepts of lift and drag. In the class lab we will build an efficient model airplane.
1. Learn to Scale using 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 Ratio (Classwork)
2. Create a coded key which contains parts and functions (Classwork and homework)
3. Learn about aerospace engineering (Video) and complete questions (Homework)
4. Complete airplane engineering lab in class using the engineering design process
1. Watch Video
2. Complete practice in class (finish for homework)
3. Create a coded key with 5 parts minimum: Airplane example in class/ ANY object at home
4. Aerospace Engineering Video
1) What are two types of aerospace engineering and what is the purpose of each one?
2) Explain LIFT and DRAG in a few sentences
3) Design an efficient engine. Create a key/Label the parts. Explain in a paragraph what makes your engine efficient and why. Reference the video for ideas.
1. Draft a scaled diagram with a coded key
2. Define aerospace engineering, lift, drag
3. Design an efficient engine
4. Use the engineering process to create an efficient model airplane
Engineering Design (Grades 6 - 8)
- Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions. (Grades 6 - 8)
- Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem. (Grades 6 - 8)
- Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success. (Grades 6 - 8)
- Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved. (Grades 6 - 8)